Thursday, 7 March 2013

  Though I decided I will be more regular on this blog..it didn't actually happen so far..
My little wonder keep me busy all the time and so does kitchenkatta (in the virtual world and also in reality!!)
  Anyways..the very idea to write here was to share some special experiences, which others can benefit with..
And one of such is how we taught A to sleep almost whole night even at age of 1 month..
So here how it went..
  When A was at home back from hospital, first week was like any other new parents...waking up(did we actually sleep??) every 2 hrs to feed and nappy changes
  But post first week, it was like being awake whole the night with lights on as A used to cry very badly throughout the night..and we unsure of if its hunger, wet nappy or aching tummy would end up trying different ways of soothing him..
  Nothing seemed to work and all 3 of us used to end up being awake whole night..
And then somewhere near morning A used to sleep...but this luxury was not for mamma-papa though
  My only question was..how to make baby sleep..how to make him understand, its 'night'??

Finally one day we started with an new experiment, to teach A the difference in day n night..and the time to sleep..
It was all about a set routine..so here I out down the baby steps we took:
- Feed A well by 8.30pm
- Let him play for short while after feeding
- At 9 pm put off the bedroom light and put on night lamp(light just enough to ensure A is sleeping safe and not covered is nose or face and nappy changes)
- Now another choice to be made was to make A differentiate between place to play/lie in day time/take short nap and bed to sleep over night..in our case we choose the credal to be the day time bed and a rocker(which is in fact rocker come car seat) to be night time bed
- I would put A in rocker and keep the rocker next to my bed and gently rock him till he sleeps
- Strict rules to be followed at night:
   - Talk in very gentle voice if at all needed
   - No switching on of main lights even for nappy changes or feeding. All to be done in night lamp
   - Even if A tries to play, almost no response from our side
- Once A is fast asleep, I would gently take him out of rocker and place him in his bed/cradle (just to ensure he gets to sleep in more natural position)

  And Bingo!!! within two days, my little one started understanding..When lights off, he is in rocker and mamma-papa don't talk and respond to his mischiefs..Its time to SLEEP!!!
  And no more crying at nights..A would peacefully sleep for 6-7 hours at stretch at night..
Only thing to ensure here was, to feed him once late night and once in early morning around 4.30-5.00 am!!
Which gave us more sound sleep that being awake for whole night!!!
  So here goes few pics for reference..Below is our rocker come car seat..This one item I found so useful from around his 1st week till now..
Initially as I said, we used it as part of bed time routine, then it turned into rocking chair for A to sit and gurgle  and rock it by himself by waving his legs
And then its always served the purpose of the car seat and still we are using it for same
Moreover this one is very handy to carry anywhere I wanted to take him without actually picking him up ...


  And here is my simple but useful cradle..I found this very safe as well because of its minimal fittings..
Anyways, it was not used for long though..soon I plan to convert into a book shelf for A :P




No comments:

Post a Comment